I just love what Epicurious has done with their redesign. I spent part of yesterday nerding out around their site and came out on the other side with this breakfast recipe!
And lookie here! A puffy bed of quinoa and egg, with the perfume of herbs and soft rings of shallot dotted throughout. Feta crumbles and powdered parmesan browned under the broiler with breadcrumbs, buttered and crunchy.
In case you can’t tell, it was delicious and I’m still reeling from the taste. Make this happy, brunchy memory in your kitchen today!
Herb, Feta, and Quinoa-Filled Frittata (adapted from Epicurious)
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt & pepper (to taste)
1 medium shallot, peeled and sliced into thick rings1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons rosemary and sage, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoon parsley, torn
2 tablespoons feta, crumbled
1 tablespoon parmesan, grated
2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat the broiler. Toss breadcrumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and quinoa, until the eggs are fully beaten. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
3. In an ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until softened, about one minute.
4. Pour in egg-quinoa mixture and sprinkle with herbs. Tilt pan and use spatula to lift cook edges so that uncooked egg flows under.
5. When edges have start to set, remove from heat and sprinkle on cheese. Place skillet under broiler and until cheese starts to melt, about thirty seconds. Add breadcrumbs and return to broiler until breadcrumbs and cheese begin to brown (30—60 seconds).